Sunday, April 19, 2009

Reflections on 3 months unemployment

Since I started working again, at least temporarily, and since the turnaround time was pretty quick, it really gave me a sharp contrast to unemployed versus employed life. I'd been pondering on my 3 months of unemployment and came up with a few reflections.

The Very Best Part:
God's continual and clear work and providence. I was blessed with contentment and satisfaction during my unemployed time, knowing that it was part of God's plan, and for my good. I was blessed through God providing finances in different and unexpected ways. I was blessed through the encouragement of church members and fellowship with others as we encouraged one another during unemployment.

The Other Best Parts:
Free time provided opportunities to do volunteering, which I loved.
Free time provided lots of opportunities to spend time with church families, which was awesome and encouraging.
Free time provided ability to rest and search for employment in a stress-free manner.

The Best Personal Accomplishment:
I finally had time to finish PHR!!! Yes, that's right. Project Home Re-Organization is done. I think I had about a total of 8 boxes of things that were donated, and 2 boxes of things that I freecycled. I was very happy to have the free time to really nail down the final elusive details of getting Really Organized. The methods I set up are still working and I'm very easily able to stay clutter free!

The "Gotta Come Clean" Part:
I won't say this was the "worst" part, but I will confess that it was a struggle at times to make sure I was using my time productively and wisely. And I really wish I had read more. I have literally dozens of books in my To Read pile, and I did not make the effort to really dent the pile.

In conclusion, I do think the free time was excellent. (I think that's how I like to refer to it as, not unemployment, or underemployment... it was just my free time. =D) I am mostly thrilled with how I was able to spend my time, and completely thrilled with what God taught me through it. I do admit I miss the freedom to run to the grocery store at 11am on a Thursday morning, but I also think that now God's plan for me includes getting back into the pattern of a work day, and finding new ways to be productive, and even better, new and exciting ways to look for God's amazing blessings.

No comments: