Saturday, May 9, 2009

Metro-tastic

After 3+ years of driving to work (from the Hill to different places in Northern Va.) I'm using public transportation again to get to my new job downtown. I've decided that I really haven't missed the Metro that much. It's dirty and smelly and actually more expensive than driving. The trains are full of loud noisy people, or glaring sullen people, or shove around you to get to the turnstile first people. There's a bus route that I can take so I sometimes do that, but it usually ends up being worse. The buses are always 10-30 minutes late, and are usually less-than-standing room only. Not really worth it, even if it is cheaper than taking Metro rail.
Ever the fan of efficiency, I've tried to find the swiftest way home, whether by bus or Metro train. I'm sad to report that I have yet to beat the amount of time it used to take me to drive the 11 miles home back into the city from Alexandria. Of course, I do have a country mile to walk from the station to my home but even if I'm booking it, I still can't seem to improve my total commute time.
I'm going to try to learn patience with this, and reliance on God's timing, not my own. I'm thankful that my work is close by, and I'm no longer tempted by "road rage" either. If anyone has any tricks though, on how to block out the ickiness of the Metro, please feel free to share!

2 comments:

The Hamilton Family said...

I like the word: metrotastic;-) At least you're not in Japan at rush hour w/ the train shovers that try to fit as many people on the train as possible. I hope your commute gets better. Miss you!!!!

Anonymous said...

girrrrrrl, have you ever been on the NYC subways? filthy filthy filthy! they make DC metros seem like plush limos... well not really but you know what i mean. :)