Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Media "Diet"

During the evening church service this week, Matt gave a message on Ezekiel. One of the main points of the message was "Don't be a God ignorer". To that end, he described how he and his family are going through a month long media "fast" and focusing more on God. I was encouraged to try it myself, so I am starting with a one week media "diet".

I will still use my computer for e-mail, blogs, and games of an educational variety, but no movies, no more than 1 hour max of TV a day (with muted commercials), and no more of those internet games I like so much. I don't really read the paper or the news much, but no getting the Express, no Washington Post Magazine, and no news TV shows either. I do listen to my iTunes while cooking or cleaning but no radio. That might not seem like much of a media diet, but since I live by myself (and am currently underemployed) and have no one to talk to or anything, I am granting myself some leniency because otherwise I think I might go crazy!

I have made it 1.5 days successfully so far, thanks to the grace of the Lord, and hopefully with His good help I can make it through the whole week. It has indeed been a blessing so far, and I've enjoyed the peaceful break. I plan to continue the diet next week if I can. I pray God will continue to bless the time, and particularly give me a desire to read encouraging books, and find other helpful ways to spend my time.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Good for you, Katy! Come visit us if you get bored. We're especially homebound on Mondays and Fridays.