Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Maximizing vacation time

My Thanksgiving holiday begins at precisely 3:30 tomorrow afternoon (when my office closes early) and I am just about counting down the seconds to go! I've been thinking about "vacation" a lot this week and have realized a few things.

Usually when I have time off work, whether it's holiday-vacation, or other vacation, or even a weekend, I am usually just desperate for time to relax and "do nothing", to have a break. Maybe I'll throw in some reading, or some home chores but, being the homebody I am, I don't usually want to do more than that. Well, when I do that, I usually wind up back at work feeling no more relaxed or refreshed than when I left. I think this is because all that time I had away was empty, I didn't use it for any memorable purpose, and I think a lot of people have the same problem. It's the same thing over and over, there's never any different things.

To have a really good break, I need to capitalize on the fun things to do! This is definitely a challenge for me because I am an introvert and inclined to be by myself and sometimes miss opportunities. Yet, when I think over past holidays and vacations, what do I recall most? That I had quality "alone" time, or that I went to visit friends in another state? Or that my family went to New York City, or had a lunch outing, or had an all-out "Uno Attack" game marathon? Any range of activity, from travel to just being together and creating new traditions can make lasting memories and be far more refreshing than sleeping in or vegging alone.

I pray for myself and for others that we will have plenty of opportunities for fun memories this Thanksgiving holiday, and that all will be able to joyfully take part in them, and be thankful as well.

No comments: