On my way to work this morning I had quite a scare on the road. I was driving on the GW Parkway, admittedly not at the posted speed limit, but certainly not one smidgeon faster than anyone else, when all of a sudden my rear-view mirror was filled with flashing red and blue lights. After unfortunately making voice to bad word, I quickly got my car over and PRAISE GOD the cop kept going! I couldn’t figure out where he had come from so fast because usually you can spot the cops on the parkway if you know where to look. He was hauling though, and sped further up the road to backup another cop that had a fellow pulled over.
After recovering from the initial shock, I thought about how badly I was frightened, and then realized that the slap of fear I had of potential punishment from earthly law enforcement officials isn’t even one iota as much as the fear I should have of the punishment of a heavenly God on those who have not believed in Him. By God’s kindness and through Christ’s sacrifice on the cross God has promised that this judgment will not come upon me, praise the Lord! I still think it’s good to be aware of this fear though, and the event at least served as a good tangible example for me. I was in fact speeding = I am a sinner, I deserved to get caught and be given a ticket = I deserve nothing but God’s just wrath. Yet by God’s grace I am called a co-heir with Christ and have a Spirit that is leading me to life with God. A much-needed reminder, even after just having Sunday, and certainly encouragement to be a little more law abiding next time I venture out on the roads.
Monday, November 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Know the feeling!!
I found that they usually like to hide out after the Mclean/Rt 123 split or in the scenic overlook places.
Post a Comment